March 2017  
SMTWTFS
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 
     
Bible Search
Chancel

Chancel

Altar & Reredos, Credence, Altar Rail
Pulpit, Lectern, Organ

 

The Memorial Altar & Reredos

The altar and reredos were erected in 1885. They were designed by Mr. Richard M. Upjohn, and, with the exception of the sculptured angels, the work was executed by Messrs. Ellin & Co. of New York. The material employed is Caen stone, and the type of architecture is the decorated Gothic of the church. The altar is raised from the floor of the nave by seven stone steps, three of which form the ascent from the sanctuary pavement. It is eight feet, three inches in length, and the front is deeply recessed by round arches, which are supported by columns of tinted marble and enclose symbolic sculpture. The reredos defines the central plane of the polygonal apse, and its apex lifts its cross against the base of the central lancet of the chancel. The chief sculptural feature are two angels, designed in high relief, with outspread wings, kneeling above the retable in adoration of the cross, which forms the background of the reredos. These devout and beautiful figures were modeled by Mr. Louis St. Gaudens in the studio of his brother Auguste. The north buttress of the reredos bears the following inscription:

To the
glory of God
and in sacred and
loving
memory of
Elizabeth McClintock Pruyn,
Born Oct. 31st. 1853,
evermore at rest
Dec. 20th, 1884

The south buttress is inscribed:

And we also bless
thy holy Name for
all thy servants
departed this life
in thy faith and fear;
beseeching thee
to give us grace
so to follow their
good examples, that
with them, we may
be partakers of
thy heavenly kingdom.


Credence Table

In 1885, the credence table was built into the wall on the south of the altar. Designed by Richard Upjohn and cut from Caen stone, the upper portion consists of a recessed arch enclosed in a square, whose exterior molding terminates in sculptured corbels. Below the table are the words:

“Blessed are the pure
in heart; for
they shall see God.”

May XXIII A D MDCCCLXV.

On the base runs the inscription:

In loving memory of Catharine Elizabeth Van Vechten Ten Eyck.

 

Altar Rail

The Sanctuary is separated from the Choir by a brass trefoil Rail supported by standards of beaten brass of intricate workmanship. It was designed by Robert Gibson and is inscribed:

In Memory of Mary Jane Perry, wife of John S. Perry, and their deceased children.

 

 

Pulpit

The pulpit was built in 1886 by Ellin & Co. of New York after the design of Robert Gibson. It is Venetian Gothic in composition. The material is the red sandstone of Carlisle. The base, whose foundations rise from the crypt, bears the inscription:

In Memoriam
John Rutger Bleecker
Eliza Attwood Bleecker
Benjamin Tibbits
Elizabeth Bleecker Tibbits

 

 

Lectern

The fine, bronze lectern made by the Gorham Company of New York was placed in the church in 1892. It represents an angel of heroic size, whose uplifted hands support the frame on which the Bible rests. The globe which forms the base is inscribed:

To the Glory of God’s Word
and in loving memory of
John Macdonald
entered into Rest March 27, A. D. 1892
“For so He giveth His Beloved sleep.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contents © 2017 St. Peter's Episcopal Church Albany | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy